Friday, July 4, 2014

HAPPY BIRTHDAY AMERICA!!!

YAYYY HAPPY FOURTH OF JULY EVERYONE!!! :) For all those who are wondering if I completed my race, I DID!!! YAYYYY! What a complete relief that was. Last night, I honestly thought about skipping it. Everyone give me crap about how insane I was about waking up so early on a holiday. But I set my alarm early, went to bed early, and luckily woke up at 6:15am. Just in time to eat my favorite meal, breakfast!!! (A little side note: I took my own advice and had two slices of wheat toast with a tad bit of butter, a banana with a bunch of fruit, but I admit I could not give up my morning sweets. I had a little tiny bit of my brother's birthday cookies. However, for those like me who cannot resist giving up sweets, eat sweets at an early time so that your body has enough time to digest it. For example, once I woke up and got dressed I ate 1/2 of two little cookies right away so that they had an hour and half to digest in my stomach. It worked! I did not have any stomach pains what so ever.) I would be lying if I said I was actually excited for the race, but once I got there and lined up at the starting point, I was pumped. For anyone who has done a 5K, the atmosphere before and even after the race is amazing. After you complete that race, you feel as if you are superman (in my case, superwoman) so strong and so fit. Maybe, that is just my own opinion. But that's basically why I sign up for these races. Also, the free food at the end is always a plus :)

I completed the race in 27 minutes and 51 seconds. Not too bad. But, definitely did not place within the top runner category. However, I placed 8th place out of 32 in my age group division and 103 out of the 431 females who completed the race. I know I am not an olympic athlete but for me, that is awesome. My one regret is not pacing myself as well as I should have. My first mile I ran in 8 minutes and 18 seconds, which for me, is way too fast. As the race continued, I began to feel more and more exhausted. The atmosphere got to me. Having people pass me up, made me want to go faster so I could beat them. But again, you have to have self control. Start off slow (not too slow but at an easy normal pace). Then, at the second mile increase your speed a little, so that by the third mile you saved enough energy to pass all those who did not pace themselves. It's a learning experience but definitely a great start to the day/holiday!

Overall, I encourage everyone to just try a 5k race/walk. I promise you, you will not regret it. Anyone can do it. Seriously, I saw little kids who looked about 7 years old running. Even older men and women, a man around the age of 78 taking a nice little jog. Does not matter if you are a skinny minny or out of shape. Just try it! Believe me you will be soooooooooo happy that you did :)

Hope everyone has a wonderful and relaxing fourth of july!!! Now it's time to celebrate!!!!!! :D

No comments:

Post a Comment