Tuesday, July 29, 2014

Breakfast for the Lazy Bums

I admit, for the twenty one years that I have been alive I have taken breakfast very seriously. Serious, to the point that I pretty much stuffed myself until I could no longer move. It's the most important meal of the day so why not stuff your face, right? Chocolate bars, cookies, brownies, cheesecake, pretty much everything bad for you, I grabbed. Little bits of each until I had a paper towel full of little goodies. I would think nothing of it since I would work my butt of that day to burn it off. Nothing but a little motivation. However, I beginning to think that it could be dangerous or at least, affecting my blood sugar level. According to a recent Times article "Why you should Eat Breakfast and the Best Times for the Rest of the Day's Meals", Judy Caplan, a registered dietitian from the Academy of Nutrition and Dietetics spoke out against the dangers of eating pastries in the morning hours. When you eat an overly processed and refined food, such as, sweet cinnamon roll, the body responds with a spike in insulin production, causing blood sugar to drop to low levels which results in hunger. So overall, you're satisfied for about an hour maybe less, until hunger pains come back around.

Throughout the day, I am on the run. Trying to keep myself busy until 5 pm comes rolling around. Therefore, I have no time for awful hunger pains especially if I plan on going to the gym after work. With this in mind, I revamped my morning meal to include some protein to help level out my blood sugar, allowing me to feel full for longer period of time. I'm not a huge fan of eating hard boiled eggs in the morning time. However, I paired one hard boiled egg with an English muffin and, honestly, it has worked! Not to mention I pair my breakfast meal with a BelVita biscuits and one Special K cereal bar. This combination pretty much fills me up until about noon when I am ready to hit the gym. The dangers of consuming any packaged food is getting a dose of unhealthy ingredients that allow the food to be preserved for a long period of time. With that in mind, I am trying to cut down on my processed foods (Special K bars). It's been hard though. For many years, I have enjoyed these breakfast bars. Kind of feels like an addiction (as weird as that may sound). But I think slowly decreasing my consumption (eating one bar instead of two) is my best bet to help stop completely.

If you are a picky eater, Mayo Clinic.org provides some suggestions below than can help you create a healthy breakfast plan:
  • Whole grains. Examples include whole-grain rolls, bagels, hot or cold whole-grain cereals, low-fat bran muffins, crackers, and Melba toast.
  • Lean protein. Examples include peanut butter, lean meat, poultry or fish, and hard-boiled eggs.
  • Low-fat dairy. Examples include milk, plain or lower sugar yogurts, and low-fat cheeses, such as cottage and natural cheeses.
  • Fruits and vegetables. Examples include fresh or frozen fruits and vegetables, 100 percent juice drinks without added sugar, and fruit and vegetable smoothies. Choose low-sodium versions of beverages, though.

According to Mayoclinic.org, these foods together provide complex carbohydrates, fiber, protein and small amount of fat that allows for a filling, healthy meal to start your day with. If your looking for specific ideas for breakfast meals follow this link:
http://www.mayoclinic.org/healthy-living/nutrition-and-healthy-eating/in-depth/food-and-nutrition/art-20048294?pg=1


Overall, it is important to eat breakfast. Not only will you be satisfied, but you are also more likely to be able to control your weight while consuming more vitamins and minerals, eliminating most of the bad fats and cholesterol throughout your day. So, why not try it!!



Other source used in this post:
 http://healthland.time.com/2013/07/23/why-you-should-eat-breakfast-and-the-best-times-for-the-rest-of-the-days-meals/






No comments:

Post a Comment